While clickity clacking web-surfing, and stumbled cross the website of Elena Kalis. It was just a happy stumble because her portfolio was just a delight to see - over and over again. Residing in the Bahamas, Elena's work consists mostly of underwater photography. There were many photo sets on her website which consisted of different themes. I thought she did a great job shooting/ categorizing coherent sets. I especially liked her conceptual series made use of the weightless property of water to create a space to play with perceptions of orientation. These photographs were most interesting to me because I had to actually look at it a little longer to figure out which end is the surface of the water (some of which I still haven't really figured out...) - or maybe it's edited to look like there's two surfaces?
Quite a few sets featured girls with flowy dresses. Many of these evoked a sense of ethereal-ness (peace)/ darkness (fear) that were quite strong. Even though some of the "darker" images seemed quite haunting, all of the girls' faces were calm, showcasing the haunting/ calming dichotomy of the sea.
Check out her portfolio here. I guarantee you 'll want to spend more than just 10 minutes to peruse her amazing, thought-provoking work.
P.S. Her Alice in Wonderland series were quite exceptionally, whimsically cool!!

~ 0 comments: ~
~ Post a Comment ~