My initial idea for this project was a general, national-geographic style series of nature. A lot of these photographs are so powerful in conveying the beauty of nature that it just stuns and causes me to look at it for a long period of time. Sometimes this occurs in nature as well, and I desire to achieve a photograph as how I saw it the moment that it caught my attention and awe.
In my series, I hope to achieve a sequence of photographs of nature that are conceptual, ethereal and convey the mystery and magic that exists within moments in nature.
For my central image, the bamboo, I've made a few major formal treatments that I thought would make the image for effective. The biggest changed I've made was for the overall background as well as some little details in on the bamboo. What caught my attention in this bamboo was the vibrant green and the stud-like details around the ridge of the bamboo. I toned down the highlights in the background to provide a better contrast to highlight this vibrant, smooth skin of the young bamboo.
It wasn't until I uploaded the image on my computer that I realize the dirtiness of the bamboo, and how it almost created something of a blur to the perfect gradual green gradient of the bamboo, so I edited some of the flecks of dust and freckles.





~ 1 comments: ~
at: February 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM said...
I hope you found today's discussion helpful. I feel as though your intent is a bit more clear in terms of the way you are talking about your work this week. You really do seem to be focusing on the materiality of the plants and forms that you find so fascinating - so, it's not so much the experience of looking or perceiving, but of really being able to focus on very specific, fundamental elements of the structural aspects of plants/natural materials. Keep thinking about these things as you photograph, and then think about them even more when you select your images for critique. At this point, I think it's find to focus more directly on the specificity of particular plants and not worry as much about the more expected type of landscape photographs, that show plants in their element. And do think very carefully about how you frame and see the objects as well in terms of how you use focus, how extraneous elements in the composition interact with the object, etc. The silhouette image of the tree against the sky is very different than the other four this week. Start really thinking about how your images form a cohesive whole and/or relate to one another.
~ Post a Comment ~